Our History

Our History

History of Martin’s Potato Chips

 

1941

1941

1941

Martin’s Potato Chips is located in south central Pennsylvania which is considered by many to be the snack food capital of the world. From the farm kitchen of Harry and Fairy Martin, back in 1941, a unique potato chip found its way into the hearts and homes of York County. Their business soon outgrew the kitchen. The Martin’s built a small factory and expanded their distribution from delivering fresh daily to market stands, to also selling to mom and pop grocery stores.

1964

1964

1964

Harry Martin installed his first automated potato chip fryer and automatic bagging machine. Charlie Lebo (pictured) was Mr. Martin’s first employee.

1971

1971 Mr. Martin and Mr. Potter

1971 Mr. Martin and Mr. Potter

In 1971 the business was sold to Ken and Sandy Potter with the Martin family remaining as employees. Ken Potter had learned the potato chips business by working at El-Ge Potato Chip Company for 16 years. One route truck handled all deliveries. Bar-B-Que Waffle chips were the #1 selling item.

1974

1974

1974

In 1974 the kettle cook’d potato chip was introduced. They are handmade, one batch at a time, the old fashioned way. This bag design was the first to feature our trademark kettle logo. By the 1980s, kettle cook’d potato chips were the local favorite and the sales were growing rapidly.

1979

1979

1979

The factory was added onto in 1979 and 1984 to keep up with the growth.

1985

1985

1985

By 1985, we had over 30 trucks delivering Martin’s Chips in York and the surrounding counties.

1990

1990

1990

By 1990 our growth had exceeded our factory’s capacity. A new 40,000 square foot factory was constructed on the same property. The old factory was re-purposed for office space, box storage and vehicle maintenance.

1994

1994

1994

In 1994 we added popcorn production to our facility. Since then, our butter popcorn has become the most popular ready to eat butter popcorn in central Pennsylvania.

2001

2001

2001

In 2001, a 20,000 square foot addition was added to the warehouse to accommodate the sales growth.

2004

2004

2004

Mr. Potter retired in March of 2004 after 50 years in the potato chip business. Today, elder son, Ken Jr. is President & CEO and youngest son David is Vice President of Sales and Marketing.

2011

2011

2011

In 2011, another 18,000 square foot building extension was added. This space was used for both production supplies and for distribution.

2018

2018

2018

Today our distribution network stretches from New York to North Carolina. In addition to the potato chips and popcorn, our trucks distribute many other fine snack foods such as cheese curls, party mix, meat snacks, tortilla chips, and pretzels.